Preparation：① Cobo Vault ② Laptop or Phone
1. Press and hold the “Power” button for 3s to boot Cobo Vault.
2. Choose a system language and tap 【Next】.
3. Visit Cobo official website on your laptop or mobile phone. Click【Start】 to display the Web Authentication QR code. (Please click [here] button if you are using Cobo Vault Ultimate.)
4. Tap 【Scan QR Code】 on your Cobo Vault device. Scan the QR code displayed on the Web Authentication page of the official website.
5. Input the 8-digit code shown on your Cobo Vault on the website and click 【Verify】.
6. If the webpage says “Successful”, tap 【Success】 on your Cobo Vault.
Caution: While inputting the 8-digit code, take care to distinguish the number “0” from the letter “O”.
Web Authentication helps prevent supply chain attacks. If the device has been tampered with, authentication will fail. For more information on how Web Authentication works, visit our blog.
Set a Strong Password
1. Password Length: At least 10 characters.
2. Must include upper and lower case letters and digits, symbols are allowed.
After the Cobo Vault imports a recovery phrase, the password can be used to sign transactions (private keys will call a password for signature). This means your cryptocurrencies can be sent out if your password is leaked. Please set a strong password instead of using simple passwords like names or birthdays as this may make it easier for an attacker to brute force it and access your recovery phrase.
Creating or Importing a Vault & Recording the Recovery Phrase
Preparation: ① Recovery phrase paper or metal tablet ② Select 【I’ve read and agree...】
Caution: It is not recommended you perform this step in public places or with others around.
1. Create Vault
If you do not have a recovery phrase or need to generate a new recovery phrase, please select 【Create Vault】.
a. Tap 【Create Vault】, then 【Next】, then 【I UNDERSTAND】(please read the prompts on the Cobo Vault carefully).
b. Carefully record the recovery phrase while it is being displayed. You may want to use a metal tablet for a higher degree of permanence.
c. Tap 【Recovery Phrase Saved】, then 【Next Step】.
d. Input the recovery phrase and tap【Done】to create the Vault.
2. Import Vault
If you already have a recovery phrase, you can select 【Import Vault】. We recommend users create a new recovery phrase when beginning use of the Cobo Vault to isolate assets from risks associated with previous use of an old recovery phrase (such as having entered it on a mobile phone connected to the internet or taking and saving pictures of the recovery phrase on a mobile phone, etc.).
a. Tap 【Import Vault】.
b. Carefully record the recovery phrase while it is being displayed. You may want to use a metal tablet for a higher degree of permanence. Select recovery phrase length and tap【Next】.
c. Enter your recovery phrase. Tap【Import Vault】 to start creating a Vault.
Cobo Vault supports importing 12/18/24-word recovery phrases and generating 24-word recovery phrases by default.
The recovery phrase entails complete ownership of the cryptocurrency. If your Cobo Vault is lost or stolen, the recovery phrase is the only way to retrieve your assets. Please make sure you have physically backed up your recovery phrase instead of saving it as photo or other format on any device which may connect to the internet. Air-gapped mobile phones, air-gapped laptops, and USB sticks have larger attack surfaces, so we advise against using them.
1. Select the Assets you need to manage.
2. Tap the 【√】 icon on the top right of the page.
The Cobo Vault hardware wallet only supports showing main-chain cryptocurrencies. Please add and manage Tokens on the Cobo Vault mobile app.
If you upgrade Cobo Vault to the BTC-Only firmware version, you will only be able to manage bitcoin in Assets and will not able to switch back.
Sync with Cobo Vault Mobile App
Preparation: Download the Cobo Vault mobile app
You can also use Electrum as a watch-only wallet in place of the Cobo Vault companion app. Instructions here.
1. Open the Cobo Vault mobile app and tap【Bind】. Scan the QR code displayed on the Cobo Vault hardware wallet.
2. If you have difficulty scanning the QR code, please tap 【Difficulty scanning?...】 and try again.
If a transaction is large, the number of QR codes will increase. Please keep scanning until the process finishes.
Problems scanning? Please submit a request to us. Our admins will reply to you ASAP.